Position Objective & Purpose
Special Events & Communications Director is responsible for organizing, managing and growing the special events of the Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce. This position is also responsible for overall management of the Chamber’s external communications. Strong written and verbal communications skills required; as well as experience in non-profit field, and the development and securing of annual sponsorships. Must be detail and customer service oriented. Two years special events, marketing or Chamber work required, additional sales experience a plus. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Reports: Directly to the President/CEO
Position: FT- Exempt – Approximately 40 hours per week
Primary Office Location: BACC Forest Satellite Office
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Special Event Coordination and External Communications:
• Works with Chamber President/CEO to establish and carry out overall goals for special events and communications.
• Set and manage budgets for all special events.
• Develop and implement Chamber Sponsorship plans.
• Coordinate, manage, track, and evaluate all special events.
• Work with Chamber President to develop programs and services for members.
• Coordinate all details of special events and receptions including development of materials, securing sponsorships, working with other staff to obtain information for dissemination, and ensuring all logistics are handled.
• Develop a fundraising plan to support the Chamber’s programs and events, including sales. Commission included.
• Develop and manage external communications, including weekly e-mail newsletter, website updates, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and promotion of events.
• Serve as staff coordinator of the Special Events Committee, and participates in the Chamber Technology and Marketing Committees.
• Develop and implement Chamber’s annual external Marketing Plan
• Performs other duties that may be assigned.
Skills and Experience Required
• Flexible, multi-tasker who is a team player
• Ability to apply popular computer applications including Microsoft Office , Excel, Publisher, Powerpoint, Adobe Illustrator and the ability to learn ChamberMaster (membership database & website system)
• Ability and willingness to work non-conventional hours
• Previous job-related non-profit organizations and business to business sales helpful
• Demonstrated experience in providing excellent client service skills, listening and communications skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to successfully work in a changing environment and multi-task
• Ability to establish rapport and work effectively in a team environment
• Excellent telephone etiquette, organizational and time management skills
• Ability to use diplomacy with clients and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work accurately with detailed information
• Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
• 2 Years + experience in Non Profit event development a plus.
Physical Demands: The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. The associate is required to talk, sit, stand, walk, bend, stoop and reach and is frequently required to use hand to finger association to handle or feel objects and operate a PC. Some manual labor, such as lifting, is required.
No walk-ins or phone calls. Please submit your resume and cover letter to 305 E. Main Street, Bedford, VA 24523 or email to email@example.com.
This job description may be added to, modified, streamlined and/or changed at any time to meet the organization’s needs.